Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Flipping the Proverbial Coin....

I don't know which are crazier.. adult or adolescent drug addicts... but I tell ya what... there hasn't been a dull moment in my life since I started working with them both....

But the saddest thing.. We now have a 13 year old on our unit.. 13!!!! WTF? 10 to 12 oxycotyn a day.. and then some various other pills and smokin pot.. My heart just breaks for some of these kids.. and then on the flip side.. the adults.. the most serious with mental issues and instead of getting them under control.. they self medicated themselves into a snizzy.. So now they have more issues to deal with...

Now I wonder.. what would happen if the adults.. paid a visit to the kids.. just to let them know where their lives are headed if they don't change their ways... There is an adult unit in the place I work at.. but.. by the grace of God.. they aren't the adults that have lost everything.. and live on the streets... they are still the addicts who have health insurance.. and houses and cars and families.... hmmm.. I see an idea in the making...outreach program...

I LOVE this job...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My hats off to you. This is one tough job. I hope that your compassion and insight are all used to their fullest. There's always room for new ideas in therapy and rehab.