Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad...

:::::EDITED TO SAY:::::
This is the Happy Birthday conversation I had with Dad...after all the happy birthday stuff...

Dad: I need to find a leather shop.
Me: Umm.. for what?
Dad: I need to get something custom made.
Me: Well I know a couple.. depending...umm.. err.. ahh...
Dad: :::sternly::: I need a handle for a piece of test equipment..
Me: Oh.. Mine was better..
Dad: I have no doubt...

Today is my Dad's birthday.. he is a very young.. let me count.. :::takin off my shoes::: .. :::using buckeyes toes:::.. umm.. 78 years

He is my hero to end all hero's... he has survived 3 children who became drug addicts.. and they survived too.. He survived a blended family that added another daughter.. He is surviving 6 grand kids.. and 2 great grand kids...

He has stared down colon cancer and survived it... He is the true Survivor who will never be voted off my island...

To hear from this man "I am proud of you." makes my heart swell with pride. To be able to carry his name once again with the dignity and respect it deserves in a wonderful thing.

When I get tired from working 7 days a week, I think back to how many times he did that for our family when I was young.. and the life he tied to make for us... yes.. He spoiled us.. Yes.. he disciplined us.. I will never forget that whippin with the weeping willow branch.. Did I deserve it? Absolutely! Did I ever do THAT particular thing again? Not just no.. but OH HELL NO!

I know that one of the things I am proud of most in my recovery is that I can look him in the eye.. and tell him anything in the world.. and he will give me the advantage of his years of life and give me the best advice possible.. Do I always take it? No.. Should I? Probably... But.. He not only loves me anyway.. he likes me too... that's a good thing.. to be able to hang out with him for the day.. and not get bored.. and not want to hurry up and go home.. Is a beautiful thing..

So.. here's to you Daddy.. Happy Birthday!!! I love you...

2 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. He sounds like a really good guy.

Bammy said...

Thanks.. he is.. and I do love him..